Director, Public Engagement
Oxfam Canada (OC) is an international development agency with a focus on women’s rights and gender equality, committed to building lasting solutions to global poverty and injustice by advocating for fundamental social change. We work in relationships of solidarity and partnership to build the capacity of civil society in the Global South. As a founding member of Oxfam International, Oxfam Canada works in collaboration with other Oxfam affiliates to increase impact and influence locally, nationally and globally.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Director of Public Engagement provides strategic leadership and effective direction to all of Oxfam Canada’s work in Canada including fundraising, marketing, communications, outreach and advocacy.
The Director will drive performance in support of fundraising goals and active citizenship, creating a seamless journey for our supporters and engaging them more deeply in support of our mission. The department will offer stakeholders, including donors, volunteers and campaigners, a range of avenues and opportunities to contribute to Oxfam’s impact and influence.
As a member of the senior Management Team, the Director contributes to the overall leadership and management of the agency and to relevant Oxfam International processes and forums.
(This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
- Ensure the development and successful implementation of a focused strategy to engage the Canadian public (outside Quebec) in the work of Oxfam Canada through making a donation, volunteering and/or campaigning.
- Provide strong leadership to the Department, ensuring all activities are aligned and mutually reinforcing in support of our strategic objectives.
- Grow Oxfam Canada’s fundraising revenues, aligning resources to drive performance, building a larger and more diversified donor base and ensuring effective stewardship of donors.
- Ensure Oxfam achieves maximum positive impact on the policies and practices of Canadian institutions and on the attitudes and behaviours of Canadians.
- Ensure coherence among the objectives and complementarities among the activities of the Department and those of the Centre for Gender Justice and International Program Department.
- Maximize Oxfam’s impact and influence by protecting and growing our brand, ensuring we are best positioned both to raise funds and lobby for change.
- Ensure our campaigns and communications support our mission, reflecting our values and commitment to gender justice.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Oxfam’s global strategies related to marketing, fundraising, advocacy and campaigning as appropriate.
- Assure effective human resources management to the Public Engagement Department, including:
- Creating an environment in which staff feel valued, productive and accountable, and learning is encouraged and supported
- Confirming staffing decisions comply with Human Resources policies and where applicable, the collective agreement
- Ensuring development and implementation of work plans that reflect priorities
- Monitoring workload and work environment, taking reasonable steps to promote work-life balance and minimize risks
- Ensuring annual performance reviews of each staff person, in accord with Oxfam Canada human resources policies
- Ensuring appropriate staff training, support and development
- Supervising, coaching and mentoring direct reports.
- Ensure performance and accountability for revenues and expenditures, including:
- Recommending revenue targets and investment priorities for public fundraising
- Developing plans to deliver on approved targets for both unrestricted and restricted revenue
- Driving performance to maximize results
- Ensuring meaningful and timely reporting, evaluation and control.
- Serve as a member of the senior Management Team, contributing to Oxfam Canada’s impact, influence and effectiveness and helping strengthen its sustainability and resilience, including:
- Sharing in the management and leadership of Oxfam Canada, helping to develop and implement the strategic plan, assessing and managing risks and opportunities, and creating an inclusive and supportive environment
- Providing strategic and policy advice to the Executive Director and the Board
- Contributing to the leadership of Oxfam, helping to shape its future direction and enable Oxfam Canada to play a full and constructive role within the confederation
- Representing Oxfam Canada at the highest levels, both internally and externally.
- Approves priorities, plans and budgets for submission to the Management Team and Executive Director.
- Approves activities within the program plan.
- Approves expenditures within the program budget for up to $100,000.
- Hires, disciplines and releases staff in consultation with Human Resources.
- Revises job descriptions of departmental staff in accordance with Oxfam Canada policies and the collective agreement.
- Re‑assumes any authority delegated to staff.
- Direct reports include the Manager of Fundraising and the Manager of Marketing, Communications, Outreach and Advocacy.
- All Department staff are accountable to the Director of Public Engagement.
- Assuring delivery against fundraising targets and program objectives.
- Ensuring Oxfam Canada’s case for support is compelling and articulated in all communications to prospective and existing supporters.
- Managing resources and controlling costs to maximize results.
- Complying with all relevant legislation, organizational policies and contractual obligations.
- Effective performance of Department staff.
- Effective participation in Management Team.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Extensive knowledge and a minimum of seven (7) years experience in public fundraising and campaigning.
- At least five (5) years management experience, including strategic planning, risk management, budget development and financial management, and human resource management.
- Results-driven with demonstrated success in spearheading major fundraising campaigns.
- Experience directing strategic communications to ensure effective alignment of organizational objectives and results in the areas of fundraising, public engagement, campaigning and policy.
- Entrepreneurial flair, initiative, creativity and dynamism.
- Strong understanding of public engagement strategies and innovations.
- Demonstrated leadership, motivational and change management skills and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and commitment to active citizenship, global justice, social change, women’s rights and gender equality.
- Solid understanding of Oxfam’s brand and how this can be leveraged with donors and supporters.
- Proven analytical and conceptual thinking skills, with sound judgement.
- Demonstrated skills in influencing, relationship-building and team-building.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Excellent written and spoken skills in French are a strong asset.
- Accreditation as a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) or Advanced Certified Fundraising Executive (ACFE) is an asset.
- High level of energy, stamina and flexibility in adapting to changing situations.
- This position requires occasional travel in Canada and abroad.
This position offers a comprehensive Benefits package.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.